Sunday, January 11, 2004

I Need A Safe Color


Chris over at Signifying Nothing started a train of thought for me, so blame him.

We used to be on the Orange Alert Level, but now we're on Yellow, except for the parts of our transportation, energy and national security apparatus that are still Orange. Yellow is not to be confused with the Amber Alert, which was briefly called last week and is completely different. That has already been cancelled. It makes me blue, which isn't the same clear blue of a beautiful, cloudless sky, but a more cobalt color, like the bomb and like the Blue Alert Level we'll never see, since there's always a threat somewhere from someone.

I'd say that makes me see Red, but even though that's the color of Elmo, a friendly little guy, it's also the "kiss your ass goodbye" Alert Level color of imminent death and it's the color of running blood.

I'd think of a field of grass, which is green and soothing, but that's the color of money, which is what it's all about. Everyone wants some; everyone needs it. It's the color of jealousy, which is what's driving the folks who make my world Yellow right now.

I need a safe color. Any ideas?

No comments: