Sunday, October 23, 2005

First, I Gird My Loins


There is an guest column in today's Commercial Appeal from local left-wing nutball B. Keith English that brings up Jesus, God, religion and the War on Terror. Unsurprisingly, even for a nut, he's agin it; most of their guest columnists can be depended on to fall into this category.

But it gives me an opportunity to ask some questions of my more religious readers, those more familiar with the Bible than I. I must first point out that I am not being sarcastic or disrespectful, nor am I trying to provoke. I just want to know, so I'm asking.

Here we go.

Where in the New Testament does Jesus condemn slavery, which was widely practiced in his day?

Where in the New Testament does Jesus condemn the Roman Empire, which was worse in its day than anything we've done today? Where does Jesus call on the Emperor to renounce or embrace anything? Or call on the Roman government to change any of its ways?

Where in the New Testament does Jesus exhort the local government or the Roman Empire to take care of the poor, rather than exhorting individuals to do so?

Where in the New Testament does Jesus condemn armies, or call on the Roman Empire to disband theirs?

I'll probably think of some more, but these are a start. Any answers?

No comments: