Monday, July 18, 2005

Anonymous


I'm apparently crossing some kind of threshold, as the number of drive-by anonymous commenters is going up lately. To regular readers, I'd apologise but it's not under my control. One of the reasons I've held off on switching to a WordPress blog on hollihan.net is that having comments run by Haloscan frees me of responsibility for riding herd on folks who can't mind themselves. I don't have any kids and I'm not looking for any either. But it sadly gives the 'tards free rein.

My policy on anonymous comments is to ignore them; doubly so for childish "u suk!" graffiti. But if you still want to post intelligently and have to remain anonymous, then at least choose something for a moniker -- like Busty&Easy, Steaming Pile of Mad, EastMemphisDevil -- to distinguish yourself. The discussion about the Herenton rumor down below is hard to follow because there are too many anonymi (anonymouses, whatever) commenting. It looks like several posts came from one person, but who can say? Help readers out. Pick a moniker. Thanks.

Now, as for pseudonyms, that's a different matter. Heck, I hid behind Half-Bakered for many months before coming clean. Quite a few bloggers have pseudonyms they post under and send email or comments under. It is a fixed identity linked to a recognisable source. Alphapatriot and Say Uncle spring to mind. That's fine. I know their "voices" and/or where they "live" so I can deal with them if something comes up. Sylamore and Kafir Memphian are two more examples of occasional commenters who have a steady 'nym. Thanks, I appreciate it.

The rest of you trolls? You kids can stop. I don't bother. You are dead bugs splashed on the windshield of Half-Bakered. Unless I want to screen every comment made here (no thank you), drive-by hate comments are just another of life's irritants to be endured. I wish it was different, but I also wish I was good-looking and rich. Not gonna happen.

No comments: