Thursday, August 04, 2005

Almost


Hi kids. I had a bad start to yesterday. I went out just a bit later than I usually do and was trying to cross Union (right where the police cruiser flipped over the day before) when I see a bus coming down the street. That time of the morning there is only one, and it's mine. He was 10 minutes early (which is unheard-of) and rolling fast.

I had to step out into the middle of the street to make sure I flagged him down, then had to squeeze between cars to get in front of him to make sure he stopped. I've had busses roll right past me while I'm waving like crazy before.

Anyway, I climb on and it's not my regular driver, but another one I recognise from the same route. But I look down the bus and see a whole lot more folks than usual inside. My spidey-sense was tingling. I should've checked then, but was more intent on getting going. So was the driver.

It wasn't until he rolled past my usual turn-off I realised something was wrong. By the time I hit the bell and talked with the driver, we were waaaaay past the intersection I needed to get to the place I was going to have to walk to. I turned out this was an earlier bus that was running at least fifteen minutes late himself. I should've waited back on Union.

By the time I walked back to the intersection, nearly half-a-mile, I saw the bus I usually ride turning out. Sigh.... So, I had to walk another mile to get where I was going. I was soaked through with sweat by the time I got there, hot and tired. It carried through the whole day.

Then, a package I've been waiting for showed up while I was out. I have to be here today for it. Sometime this afternoon.

The only good news was in my weekly Epic game. This time I fought Mark to a deadlock that dragged on two more turns before he offered me a draw! I didn't have many forces left by then; he'd have won if we continued. But it was good to know I stopped him from a clear, easy win. I even surprised him a time or two, forcing him into perturbedness.

On the other hand, he's getting bolder and more confident with his Warlord Titan weapon (an enormous, overpowered war machine; a mobile artillery platform) and that causes me no end of trouble. I have nothing to go up against it. It just wanders where it will, killing what it wants unopposed. The only strategy I've got is to keep it from moving forward by throwing pickets in front of it. He has to waste time or firepower blowing them away to clear his path first.

Anyway, got home very, very tired. I'm getting up to speed today, so it will be later today before anything gets posted. But it will get posted. Mayor Herenton's action yesterday in regards to the parks controversy is typical of Herenton and we'll look at what it says about him, and what it means for Memphis. I'll have the Ford Unity breakfast post, finally, and if you're lucky and very, very good, I might write up the "Q&A With Mr. Mike" post that's been flaoting in my head for a while.

Or I might just rent a movie and switch off my mind. Who knows?

Anyway, more coming later. Thanks for stopping in. Half-Bakered's traffic has taken another bump up lately and I'm grateful for the new readers -- and the continuing regular readers. Thanks, y'all.

INSTANT UPDATE: I didn't check Mark's site first, but sure enough he has a good recap of our game. He also has interesting news about Americans Coming Together, and a picture that will break the hearts of beer drinkers everywhere. Start at the top of The Conservative Zone and keep scrolling.

No comments: