Monday, August 01, 2005

Half-Bakered Really Has Arrived


I must be someone now, because I just got my very first issues spam! Half-Bakered gets letters and comments all the time with folks disagreeing with me, or wanting to bring something to my attention, or threatening me, but this is the first time I can recall where some PR firm has tried to co-opt me into a media campaign!

Originally, I was going to talk about this without bringing the company's name into it, but when I went to their site and saw this, I quickly changed my mind:
Over budget and behind schedule, the Memphis Area Transit Authority's downtown trolley line was besieged by negative publicity. Business owners were upset by the construction disruption; the public was cynical. WestRogers stepped in and developed a campaign to introduce the trolley and the revitalized mall. The extensive publicity helped draw 450,000 riders in the first six months.
Regular readers know my thoughts on the trolley and the developer bonanza / government boondoggle it is.

The company's website is long on talking about hitting "bull's eyes" for their customers, but I'd say they were aiming at the wrong target here. Don't they even read this blog? Sheesh....

Here's the email, with individual names and identifying information removed:
Mike, I encourage you to start taking a look at the battle over a special use permit for RACE (my client). It's an example of bureaucrats specifically developing a new interpretation of existing law to destroy a business.

This can't be good for economic development in the Memphis area.

Call if you have any questions.
Have I ever blogged on this issue, ever? Do I blog on economic development? Not as such, no. Did the emailer include any places to look for information? Any links, the true mark of someone wanting you to learn more via the Internet? Nope, it's "call me." That doesn't inspire confidence, no sir.

Now, this company/person will likely say, "I was just bringing this to your attention. I was completely above board." Plausible, but given that PR campaigns are your profession, and you larded your email with all kinds of non-Internet contact information (Even mentioning "Senior Counsel!" Lawyers. Yeah that'll get my attention and sympathy.), color me unimpressed. There are sneakier ways of running a viral campaign. Learn them, if you're going to try this.

The professional journalists who read this blog are likely wondering what my fuss is about. They must see a ton of this stuff every day. And if they work at the Commercial Appeal, probably publish it too. I'd imagine you're inured to it by now, like mosquitos on a summer evening.

Well, like I said, this is my first. So, like a kitten with a new toy, I'm going to play with it.

Next time, WestRogers, know what you're doing before you do it. If you want to co-opt my blog, either read it and know what I'm likely to talk about, and my likely point of view, or offer me something worthwhile for a piece of my soul. Deal straight, not sideways.

No comments: