Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Blogger Bash After-Action Report


Got back a while ago from the bloggers bash and have to say this one was tremendous fun. Again. There was the expected geek-talk about blogging software and tech, of course, but also a lot of talk about movies, fan-made video and film works, the future of entertainment, Scenestars, the murdered body found in Overton Park, Mayor Dr. Willie Baby-Daddy, family name derivations and family history, and babies. And a marathon political discussion at the end.

Garibaldi's was busy but not overwhelmingly so; the music was intermittent and the television's volume was off. Food was good and hot; service very top-notch. It had a nice family / Saturday night out vibe. Phil and his wife and baby girl had commandered some tables already when Mark and I got there. Their baby, Madeline, was a total cutie. You can see pics of all the attendees over at Abby's blog. Yay!

The total roll call was: me, Mark, Phil, Brock and Len, Abby and Aaron, EJ, Rachel, and Steve. Not bad, and certainly a group of folks to hang out with, but I was hoping for maybe double that turnout and am a bit disappointed. I'm open to ideas and constructive criticisms to get turnout up next time.

It was an enjoyable, relaxed evening. I got to chat with Rachel about Scenestars, Memphis music and radio, and other things. I haven't seen her in a while and she is still the Hottness of Memphis. Abby shared with us about the hullaballoo in Overton Park this week. Dead bodies, eek! Aaron wasn't as quiet this time as last; he seems a really nice guy. I didn't get to talk hardly at all with EJ and it was only when he was leaving that I learned who he was. Brock, Len, Mark and Phil all made for funny and entertaining evening companions. I was most happy to get to meet Steve of Left Wing Cracker. I have the feeling I may have monopolised his time and attention somewhat, but he proved to be a good guy, for a Dem. Time flew by; it really did.

The evening ended in a massive political discussion, naturally enough, with Phil, Len, Brock, Steve, Mark and myself. It was spirited, but entirely good-natured. We discussed Harold Ford, Jr.'s prospects, the coming Senate race, the future of the Democratic party and Howard Dean's rise, and who might be the Republican nominee for President in 2008. I sorta put Steve on the spot, sensing he's a political junkie like me, but he was friendly in the give-and-take. I was surprised he agrees with me that the Democratic Party will be in the woodshed for a few election cycles before it can rise again. He thinks Dean will help them regrow; I think it means further marginalisation. It was nice to be able to talk politics with knowledgeable folks; I really enjoyed myself.

As always, we agreed to do it again. Maybe in April? It can't be soon enough, that's for sure. My thanks to everyone who showed up. You made for a revitalising evening. Those of you who missed it: well, you're missing out. Great folks; friendly attitudes; smart and informed talk. You can't pass a more enjoyable evening.

No comments: