Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Catblogging


Those of you who don't like cats just skip ahead to the next post.

So, the war for bed dominance seems to have been won by Bennie, my older cat. She's taken over the valley between my legs and it seems that Rocky (the new girl) has given up. Sometimes, Bennie will climb under the covers (after she wakes me up with gentle and insistent paws to the nose to open up the sheets) to lie down in the space between my left arm and my torso, when I'm on my back. If I roll onto my side, she'll adjust so that she's pressed up against my chest. It's so cute.

The downside is that Rocky doesn't always know that Bennie's under there. The other morning, she stepped on Bennie and started off a hissing, clawing fight inches from my face. Bad girls!

Bennie's still not happy with the new addition, though the attitude has calmed down a lot. She still likes to perch somewhere and glare at Rocky as she walks or lies around. It's kinda like when Snoopy does his vulture thing in Peanuts. Fights still happen, but there's less vehemence and more signs of play. I think.

Only problem now is that Rocky has no concept of "Don't sit on the keyboard." Bennie learned when she was a tiny kitten. Rocky is nearly a year old already and hasn't a clue. She leaps onto the desk for attention or companionship and I have to make sure I've saved whatever I'm doing. Teaching her just earns me a lot of meows and petulance. Sigh....

No comments: