Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The "Real" Memphis


EJ responds to the misquided folks who think the new movie Hustle & Flow either doesn't represent the "real" Memphis or focuses on the negative at the expense of the positive.
Before you start with your "it's just another rap flick" chatter, I would like to make some observations about the film for outsiders. Number 1, it's overwhelmingly accurate -- to the point of stereotype, but absolutely correct and on point. Anyone watching Hustle and Flow trying to tell you Memphis isn't like this is seriously misrepresenting what we live in every day down here in the hopes you'll believe what they're spittin' at you. Memphis is pimps, playas, hustlas, ho's, bitches, tricks, 30's on Yokohamas with spinnaz glossing an '82 Chevette, running game, spittin' lyrics, doin' time, chasing the dream, poor and hungry, proud as hell. Changes do not come around quickly here, time moves at its own pace. There are about 12 people who control everything that goes on in our city, and they like it that way. They don't want it to change, and nobody is stepping up quickly enough or with enough money in their pockets to make that change happen any faster.
That's just a small part of EJ's feelings, which he expresses passionately.

I live in the same Memphis he does, and though I haven't seen the movie yet (I will this week or next.) what I know of it is the same Memphis we live in, too. I've got three hookers (at least) working my street and two drug dealers in my complex alone. They unscrew the lightbulbs downstairs to keep it dark. One evening, I walked out my kitchen door to see four men, none of whom live here, sharing crack rocks and getting high. The apartment down there is empty, but is being fixed up. I cannot wait until the new neighbors move in.

It may not be good, but it is what it is. To deny it for the sake of image is to beg to be slapped hard by it.

No comments: