Friday, December 12, 2003

John Ford...Apologises?


I saw this first on Fox13 news: State Senator John Ford has apologised for the way he behaved in the flap over his abuse of his official FedEx shipping account for personal business by family members. Not for the abuse mind you, just his behavior. Still, it's the first time anyone can remember when John Ford has apologised at all. From the NewsChannel 3 website comes the full statement:
Over the past thirty days I have had my integrity questioned to a degree that it has never been questioned before. Let me hasten to point out that I understand fully that I have been the subject of much controversy in the past. There is one major difference about the instant controversy; it could be seen as questioning my personal honesty and integrity. It is because of that fact that over the past weeks I have made statements and protested vigorously against any insinuation that I would do anything to take something from the citizens of the State of Tennessee to which I was not entitled. This effort is becoming all too consuming. I regret this entire matter and apologize to the citizens of the State of Tennessee.

I recently received from A C Wharton, Shelby County Mayor, a request that I choose the course of statesmanship and take steps to put this matter behind us so that I can continue a leadership role in looking out for the interests of Shelby Countians in the upcoming legislative session. I have the utmost respect for Mayor Wharton's judgement. It is not solely a matter of respecting Mayor Wharton's personal judgment; it's more a matter of accepting his plea that we all put the interests of the citizens of Shelby County and Tennessee first.

Accordingly, I have decided that upon receipt of confirmation from Comptroller John Morgan of any charges which might appear to be inappropriate, I will pay same in full.
As always, the real news is in the details.

Fox13 reported, at the very end of their story, that the State Comptroller's office is considering looking into the matter, as hinted at above. Could it be that the whole apology is motivated by a desire to appear contrite, so as to head off an investigation? Is Ford hoping that reimbursement equals satisfaction?

The NewsChannel 3 story above ends with this bit:
The statement came after Shelby County Mayor A C Wharton urged Ford to apologize. "Since I had a long term relationship with the Senator I gave him a call and he said, 'Yep. You're right. Let's get it behind us we've got work to do,'" says Mayor Wharton. Wharton is Ford's former college roommate and fraternity brother.
What cozy relationships we have in our government, eh? One wonders who approached Wharton to make this move.

Finally, WMC Action News 5 has a very brief report of their own. Nothing on the Commercial Appeal site yet.

No comments: