Wednesday, January 28, 2004

A Disaster Waiting To Happen


I was watching WMC, Channel 5 NBC, morning news today when I noticed something new. The familiar news crawl was working its way along the bottom of the screen. Time & temp on the right; ad or station logo on the left. The ad logo this time was the McDonald's golden arch. When the crawl finished with this sentence: "David Kay has claimed there's no evidence Iraq possessed WMDs." the crawl then changed to: "I'm lovin' it!" That's the latest McDonald's ad catchphrase. It's the first time I've seen an advertiser's tag so prominently displayed.

Oooooh, bad timing. I can just imagine the morning when that ad bit comes after some murder or disaster story. Gonna piss some folks off, no doubt. I'm sure WMC will tell you they exercise caution, but we're only human. One morning, someone will come in a little too tired and bleary-eyed, or a bit late and rushed, or a finger will slip, or some joke will get away from the joker, or someone just won't see the connection until its too late. It's gonna happen.

No comments: