Monday, February 07, 2005

Whatever Happened To...?


* Joe Larkins? Is he still in town? Has he gotten a job elsewhere? The now-defunct SouthTVNews.com said that relations between him and Markova Reed were so frosty and dysfunctional that they weren't even speaking. But I wonder if the hiring of Richard Ransom affected his career path, closing off Jerry Tate's chair to him. There's no anchor vacancy in the city right now, so where's he going?

* Gurnal Scott? He used to be an on-air reporter at WPTY/24, now he's doing hourly afternoon news updates at WREC/AM600 radio. What happened?

* Joyce Peterson? The million dollar question. I assume she's still living in Memphis, but it's puzzling that she hasn't been snapped up yet. WPTY would be well-advised to build their promised morning show around her. Peterson has high popularity around Memphis; on-camera person she's relaxed, attractive, funny, professional; she's a solid reporter. She's been released from her "no compete" clause. What's going on here?

As to her firing, it's apparently still a tightly held secret. I haven't seen a clue anywhere. No one's speaking. The only thing I've heard is that shortly after WMC hired Susan Adler Thorp as a news "consultant," Peterson was heard at a reporter scrum (lots of reporters standing around waiting for a politician to appear) speaking in very negative and critical terms about the hiring. I don't have exact quotes, so I have to leave it at that. Was it this, or something personal? (BTW, if in fact it was something personal, then I won't pass it along.)

* The old WPTY news crew? I know Ken Houston is an anchor in Baltimore now. Good for him! What about Michelle Robinson? She was ill-treated by WREG and I thought her phoenix-like resurrection in the anchor chairs at WPTY/24 and WLMT/30 was wonderful just revenge. Is she still working in the biz? Retired? What about Ellen Galles, a solid reporter, and Norma McDowell, a real cutie? (I once unnerved her by staring just a bit too long at a Chinese buffet. My bad. But dang she's cute.) Any idea where they are?

* Has anyone heard who might be the local radio talk host on the new WMQM/AM680, the new Air America affiliate? We desperately need a replacement for Mike Fleming, and something more coherent than WDIA/AM1070's free-for-all talk shows. I just hope it's someone both radio-ready and politically informed. That's all I ask. I would at least tune in regularly. Plus, it might force some kind of change on the sclerotic and silly Fleming.

* Lastly, has anyone else noticed the changes at WHBQ/13? Am I mistaken or is there a definite push for a more "urban" image happening there? The new station promo featuring Soul Music, Inc. is pretty spiffy -- "No disrespect to 5, 3 or 24!" Yo, you've been 0wn3d!

There's the addition of reruns of "Sanford and Son" and "Girlfiends" as well. "Sanford?" Where did that come from? "Girlfriends" has prize of place in the late afternoon lineup and at 10PM. I admit that I miss my Saturday afternoon "Angel" repeats, though.

Then we come to the weekend news. They are nearly there with an all-black anchor desk. Ernie Freedman, Maria Black, Ed Echols.... All solid, especially Ernie. We haven't had an all-black news team since the glory days of WLMT/30, so it's a good thing to see.

If anyone has any answers to these questions, I'd love to hear them. Anonymity will be given, but information passed along only if I think it's worthwhile. Or you can drop your information in comments. With the demise of SouthTVNews.com, there's a void in behind-the-scenes television and newspaper news gossip. I'd really like for Half-Bakered to fill that void for Memphis. Partly because I'm curious; partly because I think Memphians have a right to know, up to a point. No spite or revenge gossip; no "guess who cruises gay clubs" stuff; no personal problems intrusions. I see it more as qui custodiet custodiens? "Who watches the watchmen?" The public has an interest not being served.

Anonymity is fine, but gains you no respect. Information gained that way is deprecated unless it's multiply sourced.

No comments: