Sunday, November 20, 2005

Sign of the Times


So I'm sitting in my Sunday Chinese buffet restaurant, reading my book. (Still slogging through The Coming Fury; the possibilities of a President Seward are intriguing and frightening.) The music today is Cantonese pop (sweet, syrupy, bland and earnest) when, out of nowhere, comes You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch!
You're a monster, Mr. Grinch.
Your heart's an empty hole.
Your brain is full of spiders,
You've got garlic in your soul.
Mr. Grinch.


I wouldn't touch you, with a
thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.


You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch.
You have termites in your smile.
You have all the tender sweetness
Of a seasick crocodile.
Mr. Grinch.


Given the choice between the two of you
I'd take the seasick crocodile.
Ah, I just love those lyrics, that voice and the boozy stripclub horns of the band.

Next comes A Charlie Brown Christmas and the season will officially be on us.

But wait! There's more.

I come home and start to post a bit when I hear a familiar tune coming from the television in the background. It's Buckaroo Bonzai! (Officially, The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension) Whoo!!

BB is one of the all-time great movies, despite all the bad Eighties hair, makeup, music and fashion. It definitely has some of the best movie quotes ever:
No matter where you go, there you are.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.
Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

I've been ionised, but I'm better now.

Perfect Tommy: Emilio Lizardo. Wasn't he on TV once?
Buckaroo Banzai: You're thinking of Mr. Wizard.
Reno: Emilio Lizardo is a top scientist, dummkopf.
Perfect Tommy: So was Mr. Wizard.
List of quotes here; a summary of the movie with context, and more quotes here; WAV files here.

[Digression: My most favorite move quote? From Six String Samurai:
Bad Guy: If I were you, I'd run.

SSS: If you were me, you'd be good looking.

Runnerup: Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!


So, no posting for a while as I enjoy the movie. You got any favorite Buckaroo (or other cult film) quotes?

No comments: