Saturday, March 01, 2003

Bi For Now


This New York magazine "Naked City" column is titled "Bi For Now." It's about "hasbians," or women who were lesbian during their early twenties, but are now coming out as heterosexuals a few years later. It's about bisexuality as chic.
Though Anne Heche is the most prominent example, many hasbians (sometimes called LUGS: lesbians until graduation) are by-products of nineties liberal-arts educations. Caught up in the gay scene at school, they came out at 20 or 21 and now, five or ten years later, are finding themselves in the odd position of coming out all over again—as heterosexuals.
In other words, we've made being gay fashionable and so kids are trying out the fashion. While there's nothing wrong with homosexuality, and the libertarian in me says "so what?", I'm still troubled by this.

Unfortunately, I don't quite know what I want to say about this, or how to say it without starting a flame war. I see this as yet another symptom of the decline of Western European civilisation, which I also see as a bad thing. We have thousands of years of recorded history, hundreds of societies, scientific clarity to bring to bear, and the lessons of what has and hasn't worked. Yet we still wander off into areas that assuage our guilt at the places we find ourselves. We deform our society so that we don't hurt the few, rather than embracing the majority and welcoming the minority. We are steadily loosing ourselves from the moors of history and biology that ensure our future survival.

I'd better stop here. I need to think on this some more. But I wanted y'all to read this, and think about it and what it means about who we are becoming.

No comments: