Sunday, February 01, 2004

Lies My Teachers Told Me


That's the title of this column by J.D. Cassidy about countering the classroom influence of liberal professors.

Sample extract:
Lie Number One: America is an "Imperialist Nation:"

The radical historian Howard Zinn has popularized this lie, and it is repeated in the classrooms of his disciples on a daily basis. Responding to this lie is easy, just ask your professor to kindly produce a world map and point out all of the nations that have fallen into America’s imperial realm.
You get the idea. Kind of funny; thankfully short.

I had an experience in my years at Memphis State University. I took an art appreciation class to fill an elective. The teacher is a well-known local artist. Early in the class he went into some hooey about how he supported free expression completely, no limits; artists should be free to say whatever they wanted.

I countered that he did not support this. Did he support my right to make copies of his work and put my name on it? Did he support my right to write a story about his homosexual affair with a boy? (Which was wholy untrue, of course.) He quite definitely did not, naturally, which meant he did support limits to free expression. Limits that supported his wants and desires.

He looked at me like I had declared my desire to eat babies. Then he ignored me and went on.

Feh.

No comments: