Friday, June 04, 2004

Beautiful Day


It's June already and for Memphis that would normally mean temps near 90 with humidity like a sweaty embrace from your fat aunt. But today it's closer to 80, breezy and partly cloudy. Heaven.

The windows are open, the fan's going, the cat's taking a nap, the stereo's playing some Guadalcanal Diary.

[slow, smoky blues with a hint of country]

You start messin' with me,
You're in T-R-O-U-B-L-E,
Cause I'm gonna tell Mama.

She's big and mean...
W-H-I-P-P-I-N-G
And I'm gonna yell "Mama!"

Mama don't listen to a thing I say,
But I keep tellin' her anyway.
Does me good to not do it right.
Come and get your whippiiiiin'
Tonight.
Murray Attaway is one of the great unsung lyricists of rock, although this is an example from his silly, naughty side (like "Watusi Rodeo" and "Cattle Prod"). He's obviously been steeped in the literature of Flannery O'Connor, Eudora Welty and William Faulkner. And the band could kick some very serious ass.

Thanks to John at DVD Freaks I have the Japanese import DVD of "Volcano High" to watch tonight. Haagen Dasz is on sale at Schnuck's.

I am as happy a man as I get, this afternoon.

No comments: